U2 could headline the World Cup’s opening ceremony in Brazil 2014. Insiders are open to having U2 open the FIFA
concert in Sao Paulo on Jun 12 2014. ( So far no source has been able to confirm this )
So far FIFA has set a side 15M for the show. News around Brazil suggests this is a done deal.
A source said: “For something as big as a World Cup opening ceremony they would want a massive name given it will be seen by millions and U2 would fit that bill perfectly – especially as they are liked and listened to in countries across the world.”
FIFA have already signed up top-class director Franco Dragone to produce the show, following his success with Cirque du Soleil and Celine Dion’s live Las Vegas concert.
And it is claimed U2 would take over the majority of the show if they were to sign up, which is likely to be their first new tour date.
U2 spokeswoman told the Irish Mirror they had no information to give out on the band’s plan to take part in the World Cup opening ceremony.
Industry sources yesterday revealed that their follow-up to No Line on the Horizon would not now be released until spring 2014, which would fit perfectly with a World Cup performance.
U2 have almost finished the so far untitled record but are working on finalizing art, videos and other elements that will be needed for the release.
Bono said: “We have a deal with our audience, they give us a great life and they expect us to be great and that’s tricky. As you get better you get very good and very good is kind of the enemy of great.
“You can mistake it for great. People don’t get excited about us being very good. Who needs a new U2 album?
“There are loads of them out there. We have to make a great U2 album and they don’t care waiting as long as it’s great.”