The change was necessitated by the rescheduling of the New York Jets football game on Sunday September 27, 2009 from 4:15pm to 1pm out of respect for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which starts that evening. Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the Jewish year.
The spectacular sltaging for the U2 360° tour requires up to 2 days to disassemble. The original 4:15 PM game time scheduled by the NY Jets provided enough time for the band to load out the set. The change to 1 PM was logistically impossible for U2. In order to accommodate the New York Jets, the NFL and out of respect for U2 and Jets' fans of Jewish faith, U2 agreed to move their show rather than pursue other options.
Fan Reactions still coming in. Loud and Clear (513) 360-TOUR
Fans have to change their plans. This is patently absurd. This is not a Wednesday night concert in Cleveland. It is a Friday night concert in New York and I and many others are flying in from out of town and have already booked plane tickets. Just as all of us of different faiths occasionally have to make choices, it is not appropriate for this late breaking change to affect so many people who have planned ages in advance to come to new york that friday. Shame on U2 for not standing up stronger for their fans.
- So, yeah. 50-thousand plus having to at least change plans. How many are going to lose money from prior reservations, air fare etc? I’m no attorney, but why wasn’t this caught and or avoided months ago.
- With few regional Stadium shows they have to realize people are traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles to see them. A Friday to a Wednesday is a huge switch.
- Out of respect? Sure.
- I’m out over $100 for a non-refundable hotel room Friday night. I guess I’m lucky I don’t have airfare though. Seriously, would it be so horrible for a football game and Yom Kippur to overlap a few hours?
- The God I know is not short on Cash, are you ?
- This is especially ridiculous for a league who consistently plays games on CHRISTMAS DAY to make a schedule change out of respect for Yom Kippur.
- unreal…. how they don’t take into consideration 90,000 people have to change their plans. i used to love everything about U2 but that has changed over the years. There is a huge difference between a Friday gig attached to a weekend and a Wednesday gig. We thought about sharing some of the comments, we do not support any hate messages, or messages that suggest any actions of harm to any person, or persons. Yes, we understand your anger over this. However its really an issue beyond control of any one person. As for those of you with tickets, well you have a choice pay the 100.00 to change your flights, sell your tickets on craigs lists, eBay or stubhub.